Arkansas Arts Academy, Bentonville, Elkins, Decatur, Farmington , Fayetteville, Gentry, Gravette, Greenland, Haas Hall, Huntsville, Lincoln, Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove, Rogers, Siloam Springs, Springdale, West Fork, NWA Classical Academy, and some private schools such as Shiloh Christian
This program provides: (this is my job description from ADH)
- Assistance with grant writing for school grants and community coalition grants.
- A linkage for school-based tobacco prevention and other health efforts with local community coalitions.
- Serves as an advocate for school health needs to community coalitions.
- Linkage of resources for schools, community coalitions and others in the community to promote healthy communities.
- Technical assistance on public health practices to schools and community coalitions.
- Provides technical assistance and collaborates with school nurses to identify appropriate resources and continuing education offerings that will help meet the requirements for nursing licensure.
- Works with State School Nurse Consultant to disseminate information as needed.
- Site visits were made to school nurses and numerous emails/phone calls to facilitate communication with all school nurses. (There are over 144 school nurses in NWAESC.)
- Technical assistance with school districts on all School Health issues.
- Provides Technical Assistance in policy development for tobacco and school-based enforcement of tobacco related policies.
- Provides Technical Assistance with evidence-based curricula, for tobacco, nutrition, and physical activity.
- Provides training to school nurses and others.
- Provides Technical Assistant to School Districts with Communicable Disease Outbreaks
- Provides Educational Information at School and Community Health Fairs
- Provides health information for Parent Involvement Centers.
- Provides training and technical assistance on School Health Index.
- Provides technical assistance to Coordinated School Health grantees.
- Provides technical assistance to tobacco prevention grantees.
Major Highlights of the Year
Professional development provided for school nurses (and others):
- NWAESC Annual School Nurse Workshop – various speakers in addition to nursing Continuing Education Offered – about 150 participants from the various school districts. Also have exhibitors, including from out of state, for nurses to visit with during breaks and lunch.
- Body Mass Index (BMI) Measurements Training Certification for new School Nurses (11)
- Scoliosis Certification for New School Nurses (13)
- Vision & Hearing Certification Trainings for New School Nurses (25)
- New Hearing Training to 129 School Nurses
- NWA School Nurse Association Meeting hosted at NWAESC & speaker obtained with Nursing CE.
- Regional ADH staff meetings held here – hosted
- School Nurse Coordinators Meeting – 3 meetings held with all the school districts present – met after I attended the statewide CHSN meeting in Little Rock – to communicate updates and other information.
- Assisted at Western Ark. Co-op, Arch Ford, and O.U.R. Co-op with their annual fall school nurse workshop.
- School Health Index training with Elkins School District
- Hosted trainings for School Nurses and other school personnel – Traumatic Brain Injury – 2 sessions and Fatal Alcohol Spectrum; Healthy Lungs (2); Healthy Heart; Healthy Skin (2); Biology of Cancer..
- Coordinated with Hansen’s Disease Clinic in Baton Rouge to provide Hansen’s Disease Training for NWA School Nurses per CIV.
- Para Pro Training
- Healthteacher.com taught to Elkins faculty – health, p.e. and nurses, K-12.
- Technical Assistance to St. Paul 21st Century Grant
- Partnering to host Pediatric Procedures Skill Training by ACH staff to School Nurses (pilot).