Bentonville, Decatur, Elkins, Farmington, Fayetteville, Gentry, Gravette, Greenland, Huntsville, Lincoln, Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove, Rogers, Siloam Springs, Springdale, and West Fork.
Lawrence (Larry) Driver ESC GT Specialist Masters in Education Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
Stephanie Gutierrez NWAESC GT Secretary
The GT Program seeks to recognize and develop talents in advance-level learners. As one of the state of Arkansas’s Education Service Cooperative – the GT Specialist position provides support and services to the public school districts in our Northwest Arkansas region (Washington, Benton, and parts of Madison counties) as guided by the ADE Gifted and Talented Program Standards. We facilitate College Board sponsored Pre-AP, AP teacher certification and Secondary Content training as governed by the Arkansas Department of Education. The GT Specialist also provides extracurricular academic events and scholastic competitions for local students.
Also, a portion of the job is to support NWAESC district employees with the transition and implementation of Common Core Standard.
The ESC GT Specialist functions as a contact person and GT Program resource to a variety of educational stakeholders; including district GT coordinators, GT facilitators (teachers), administrators, students, parents, community members, and community business partners in support of Gifted and Talented Education. Some of the key responsibilities are:
- facilitating and ensuring that each NWAESC school district meet all of the ADE’s GT Program Standards, especially those districts slated to be monitored
- functioning as a conduit for information and positive dialog between the ADE Office for Gifted Programs, Advanced Placement, and IB Programs with NWAESC school districts
- providing and conducting monthly meetings with NWAESC GT coordinators
- making on-site visits to local school districts to provide support and/or in-service topics for all educational stakeholder members
- attending monthly meetings and staying connected with other ADE Education Service Cooperatives GT Specialist
- hosting various student academic competitions supported by NWAESC schools
- developing and engaging in positive working relationships with local district personnel and ADE office employees connected with GT education and AP testing
- conducting appropriate needs- assessment questionnaires related to GT Specialist job
- facilitating, hosting, and presenting educational workshops and trainings; including College Board Pre-AP and Secondary Content trainings
- responding to requests from NWA teachers to provide specific workshop topics upon need; such as a GT Scope & Sequence Review workshop (May 2013) and a GT Curriculum Writing workshop (June 2013)
- actively participating in the annual AGATE state conference and other advocacy opportunities, along with belonging to appropriate professional organizations
- supporting and volunteering for GT related events: i.e. Quiz Bowl moderator , AP testing proctor, or member of Arkansas Governor’s School application selection committee
- managing all documentation and financial record keeping required by ADE and NWAESC related to the ESC GT Specialist position (i.e. Strategic Management Plan & Monthly GT Specialist Report, & maintaining yearly applications for College Board and GT Specialist Grant).
- encouraging district personnel to participate in professional organizations (i.e. AAGEA, AGATE) as well as educational opportunities (Arkansas Governor’s School, Arkansas School for Math, Science, and Arts)
- maintaining a positive working relationship with NWAESC clientele and staff members
- attending an assortment of State of Arkansas Common Core Standard workshops and gathering resource materials and notes to be shared when appropriate.